COVID-19 Updates and Precautions
Important Information for Residents, Families and Visitors
While we are currently focused on enhanced health and safety measures, we continue to be guided by our core value ‘People First.’ People are always at the centre of everything we do!Our residents are at higher risk of serious illness from exposure to COVID-19 and respiratory illnesses. As seniors living in continuing care communities are a population that is at higher risk, BSF is taking all reasonable, necessary and proactive Infection Prevention and Control (IPC) measures to prevent the occurrence or spread of COVID-19 within our Manors. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation at this time, for the health and safety of all those who live, work and visit our Manors.
Please check this page frequently for new updates and information.
BSF Safe Visiting Policy
On February 9, 2022, the Government of Alberta announced that public health measures in the community will be lifted in 3 stages as the Omicron wave subsides and pressure on the health-care system eases. Alberta entered into Step 1 on February 9 and entered Phase 2 on March 1. Easing COVID-19 measures in continuing care is part of Step 3 of ‘Alberta’s path to return to normal’. All existing requirements remain in place in these settings, including continuous masking for staff and visitors.
BSF COVID-19 Safe Visiting Policy (Version 23 Updated June 30, 2022)
Safe Visiting Policy (PDF)
Use of Masks During COVID-19
- The use of masks in continuing care sites during COVID-19 is now governed by Alberta Health Services policy (refer to: Use of Masks During COVID-19 Directive)
- Effective March 6, 2023, AHS has issued an updated directive and masking is now optional in areas where there is no direct contact with residents or resident items. Wearing a mask is now optional for staff/visitors when they are in an area such as: Corporate office settings, Administrative meetings/rooms in non-resident care areas, Break rooms in non-resident care areas.
- Continuous masking requirements remain in place for all other areas. Continuous use of masks is still required for staff/visitors throughout continuing care facilities where they may come into contact with residents, resident belongings, resident care items, or visitors such as: Resident care areas; Charting rooms; Meeting/admin rooms adjacent to resident care areas; Elevators/staircases; Common areas. Note: In these areas, masks may only be removed temporarily for the purpose of eating and drinking, while remaining seated.
COVID-19 Staff Vaccination Policy Update
- As of October 31, 2022, BSF no longer requires all staff to be fully immunized for COVID-19.
- Although it is no longer a mandatory condition of employment, BSF continues to strongly encourage all staff to be fully immunized for COVID-19, and to remain up to date with booster doses of the vaccine as they become eligible in accordance with current public health recommendations and eligibility requirements (refer to AHS Vaccine Eligibility).
COVID-19 Current Outbreak Disclosure
As of June, 2022, BSF will only be publishing whether a site is on/off outbreak, but will no longer be publishing the total numbers of active/recovered cases during an outbreak on the website. We will continue to provide written notices by email when a new outbreak is declared at a site, and for any significant developments during an outbreak response.
The 'last updated' date will reflect the last time there was a change in the outbreak status at any site: Last updated May 5, 2023.
Bow View Manor
- New outbreak declared on May 22, 2023
- Last outbreak declared over on January 25, 2023
- Last outbreak declared over on May 15, 2023
- Last outbreak declared over on February 2, 2023.
- New outbreak declared on May 5, 2023.
Statements from The Brenda Strafford Foundation
For all media inquiries or interview requests with the President and CEO, please contact:
Manager, Communications and Marketing
The Brenda Strafford Foundation
Office: 403.536.8682 | julie.arnold@theBSF.ca
Subscribe to our Mailing List
Residents, Families, Loved Ones and Visitors to our Manors are invited to subscribe to our Resident and Family Email Contact List to stay up to date on changes and news related to the COVID-19 situation and precautions at The Brenda Strafford Foundation, as well as other site-specific and Foundation news.
Go to the "Contact > Subscribe" page: