Haiti Earthquake 2021: Institut Brenda Strafford Emergency Fund
Posted on October 14, 2021 in Foundation News
Two Month Progress Report
On August 14, 2021, a massive 7.2 magnitude earthquake struck southern Haiti, causing devastation in this underserved area of the Caribbean. The earthquake damaged or destroyed 120,000 homes, injured 12,000 people, and caused 2,200 deaths, leaving 650,000 people in need of humanitarian assistance. Unfortunately, the Institut Brenda Strafford, part of The Brenda Strafford Foundation, a registered Canadian charity, is in southern Haiti and was significantly affected by the earthquake.
Serving the people of Haiti in partnership with the Ministry of Health since 1982, Institut Brenda Strafford is Haiti’s largest charitable medical facility specializing in eye, ear, nose, and throat care, providing 5,000+ consultations in a regular month. However, many buildings at The Institut and homes of our 108 staff were damaged by the earthquake. While some services were disrupted by the earthquake, our dedicated staff went into action, providing emergency medical care under tarps and tents in the moments immediately after the earthquake. Numerous people in the community were forced to take shelter in makeshift tents or unsafe houses, with some of our staff taking refuge on the Institut’s grounds.
Two months after this tragic event, The Brenda Strafford Foundation and The Institut remain committed to helping people in Haiti. The Foundation is also supporting The Institut’s staff as they continue to provide medical care for others, while trying to recover from significant losses in their own lives.
Current priorities in our earthquake response
- Ensuring the continued safety of our staff and patients
- Continuing the provision of medical services and re-establishment of all services
- Safely and quickly repair our damaged infrastructure
- Supporting our staff in their recovery efforts
- Ongoing collaboration with the Ministry of Health and other organizations to support earthquake response efforts in the region
Highlighted achievements since the earthquake
- Provided 7,400+ medical consultations
- Filled 8,500+ prescriptions for medication
- Distributed donated tents, tarps, food and water to staff and others in need
- Provided shelter on campus to staff in need
- Coordinated structural assessments for The Institut’s buildings and the houses of 45 employees
- Completed minor repairs to the outpatient clinic and outpatient surgery areas, enabling most services to return to their normal spaces
- Started reconstruction of collapsed property walls
- Provided Foundation Tous Ensemble, a Haiti-based non-profit organization whose clinic was damaged, with space to provide their physical rehabilitation services on The Institut’s grounds
- Provided valuable local insight to international organizations responding to the earthquake
- Collaborated with the Ministry of Health to make COVID19 vaccines available on-site at The Institut
Partnerships & Support
The Brenda Strafford Foundation and Institut Brenda Strafford are grateful to the following partners and organizations for their support in our earthquake response efforts:
- Hope for Haiti
- New Apostolic Church
- Le Bon Samaritan Mission Global
- Rise House International
- Operation Blessing
- Olive Tree Projects
- Charity Vision
- World Hope International
- Rotary Club of Les Cayes
- Catholic Relief Services
- Samaritan's Purse
- Norweigan Emergency Medical Team
Figure 1. Partnerships with humanitarian agencies including UNICEF, FONTEN, and Samaritan's Purse have enabled us to acquire tents for the provision of medical and surgical services. Here one tent is being use for visual acuity testing.
Figure 2. Repairs in progress at the Outpatient Clinic.
Figure 3. Reopening the Outpatient Clinic. Earlier this year, donor support helped us to replace the roof of the Outpatient Clinic – now one of the first spaces we have for safe use after the earthquake.
Figure 4. In 2020, Institut Brenda Strafford opened the new Pre-Consultation Area, made possible by generous donations. This new space was one of the few buildings at the Institut not severley affected by the earthquake. It was able to be quickly re-purposed, enabling us to provide emergency shelter, medical care and surgeries in a safe and dignified space during our disaster response.
The Brenda Strafford Foundation is asking for your generous support.
While the road to recovery will be long and challenging, we are extremely grateful for the ongoing generosity of our donors and supporters to ‘Help Us Help Haiti,’ as we continue to strive to provide high-quality, compassionate, and dignified medical services to those in need.
100% of donations received by The Brenda Strafford Foundation for the ‘Haiti Earthquake 2021: Institut Brenda Strafford Emergency Fund’ will support the Institut’s response efforts in our areas of greatest need.
We are committed to our people and will match all donations made towards “Staff Relief” to assist our team members in rebuilding their homes – doubling the impact of your donation!
Figure 5. A staff member of Institut Brenda Strafford stands outside their home that was destroyed during the earthquake.